On 4/1/06, Greg Whalin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not necessarily sure this is the problem.  But if it is, it could be
> solved by switching to a different filesystem.  Or, if you are using
> ext3fs, you could try enabling dir_index on the filesystem (tune2fs -O
> dir_index ... man tune2fs), which could give you a boost in performance
> in a large dir (this could take a long time to complete).  You may also
> want to up your table cache so that mysql can keep more of your commonly
> used tables open?

FWIW, I've experimented heavily with FS options, and found out that
dir_index on ext3 doesn't help at all, it actually harms performance.
'noatime' and 'nodiratime' options do help a little.
Also, 14000 subdirectories is not something that will cause 15 seconds
delay - those 14000 subdirectories will always live in OS dentry cache
anyway.

--
Alexey Polyakov