Gary - is there any way to check how many concurrent
connections you have per second out of those 14,000 users?

IIRC, each table requires at least one file handle to open
the table's data file (.MYD), plus 1 more for the index file
(.MYI) if the index file is updated.

So, I'm wondering if you are running out of file handles,
which would make mysql wait untill there are enough file
handles free, for mysql to do it's job.

<quote>
open_files_limit

The number of files that the operating system allows mysqld
to open. This is the real value allowed by the system and
might be different from the value you gave mysqld as a
startup option. The value is 0 on systems where MySQL can't
change the number of open files.
</quote>

mysql> show variables  like "open%";
+------------------+-------+
| Variable_name    | Value |
+------------------+-------+
| open_files_limit | 1024  |
+------------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show status like "open%";
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+-------+
| Open_files    | 44    |
| Open_streams  | 0     |
| Open_tables   | 20    |
| Opened_tables | 0     |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

What does this return on your system?

If this is the case, then I can't see how running multiple
mysql servers will help.

Keith