From: Chris Sansom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:54 AM
To: Barry; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: MySQL 3 to 5 upgrade

At 11:56 +0200 13/4/06, Barry wrote:
>Make a real downgradeable SQL Dump (without collations n stuff) and
>have it saved.
>Upgrade to MySQL 5.x and execute that sql dump.
>
>Be warned that for example CONCAT behaves in a different way than in 3.x.
>
>If you have PHP scripts with some functions in their sql queries you
>should check them all.
>
>Data should be safe and beeing able to be inserted into the new SQL
>environment.

Thanks - sounds like good sounds advice. :-) I'll look into CONCAT.

The only thing is that, judging by past experience, the host will
only give us an approximate idea of when this might happen, so I may
well be presented with a fait accompli! It's likely to happen in the
middle of the night, so I just hope I don't wake up one day to dozens
of emails saying the whole thing's broken. I'll just have to keep my
fingers crossed.

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to.
    -- Laurence J. Peter