Tahnks all for your responses (so many) I am reading up on it now
--
Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johan Lundqvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: 1' and '1' or '1

Hi Dave,

1st: Never, never, never store passwords in plain text!! Just don't do it. Store a hash of the password (ie md5 or something else).

2nd: Never pass any input from the Internet directly into a query without first checking it for sql injection.

Take a look at Wikipedia article for a brief explanation and several links to further info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection

/Johan

Critters wrote:
Hi
A user was able to log into my site using:
1' and '1' or '1
in the username and password box.

I ran the query SELECT * FROM members WHERE name = '1' and '1' or '1' AND password = '1' and '1' or '1'

And it returned all rows. Can someone explain to me why this happens, and if the steps I took (replacing the ' with a blank space when the user submits the login form) is enough to prevent a similar "hack"

Appreciate any feedback.
--
Dave