Hi Yves, all!

Yves Goergen wrote:
On 31.05.2006 10:21 (+0100), Joerg Bruehe wrote:
According to your description below, where you got "Could not connect ...", you are given this warning if establishing the connection fails. So the remaining case is a client trying to connect to a server which does not support SSL, or does not have it switched on (lacks a certificate).

Below was *after* I enabled SSL in the server. *before* there was no
warning but an unencrypted connection.

Yes, I got that - so you desire the client to inform you if it has to use an un-encrypted connection, because the server does not support SSL.

Please check the bugs database for this, and submit a "feature request" if none such is present yet.

So I need yet another account for your bug tracker...

Hmm ... - I do not get why you "need yet another account" for this, but if you want a feature, you have to ask for it via such a request.

I am no SSL expert, but AIUI you need client and server to use the same (or at least somehow related) certificates.

The client needs what? Since when is it that a client needs a
certificate, too, to use an SSL-encrypted connection to a server?!

I said I am no SSL expert, I just go by this quote from the manual:

| To establish a secure connection to a MySQL server with yaSSL
| support, start a client like this:
|    shell> mysql --ssl-ca=cacert.pem \
|           --ssl-cert=client-cert.pem \
|           --ssl-key=client-key.pem
|
| In other words, the options are similar to those used for the server.
| Note that the Certificate Authority certificate has to be the same.

from: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/secure-using-ssl.html

HTH,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com