Tim Lucia wrote:
I am in the process of designing the backup procedures for a soon-to-be
production DB.  I have gone back and forth on mysqldump and mysqlhotcopy.
As I see it (for MyISAM tables), the hot copy backs up faster, restores
faster, but does not allow for selective restores ("Hello, Support?  I
accidentally deleted student Tim Lucia... can you get him back").  Mysqldump
is slower to back up, slower to restore, but allows for selective restores.

Yes it does.
Copy the table you want to a separate database ( directory ).
INSERT INTO active.student SELECT * from backup.student WHERE name='Tim ucia';
Are those the only things to consider?  I know that piping mysqldump into
gzip resultThis on condition does not include the table being joined.s in disk
space savings of the dump file, whereas mysqlhotcopy
requires n * 2 free bytes on your system.  But at least you know in advance
exactly how much space it will take...

Tim

--
Gerald L. Clark