Thanks for your sugesstions. I tried to search this issue on
microsoft's website. and found that this problem is related with
timestamp fields. I have tried to connect from access 2k and 2003 to
mysql database. It works well for all the things. but gives above
error only when control jumps to subform with diff. table as it's
recordsource. Strange thing is that on few PCs it gives error and on
some it not gives any error. I have installed WinXP with SP2, Access
2003 with JET 4 sp 8. Also this error does not occurs when I used SQL
server 2005 express  edition
I am tring to use seperate forms for dataentry. Thanks again
CPK
On 7/3/06, Duzenbury, Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

Hello,

I recently converted a good size (>1M records) access database to use
MySQL as the backend.  I had to do a number of conversion steps.

All tables must have a primary key.  After the tables were exported, I
checked them to see that they did with a perl script.  If they did not,
I added a field called primary_key not null auto_increment and made it a
primary key.

I also had trouble getting forms to allow me to add records.  I found
that having the data source be a query, rather than a table (possibly
with a filter) was the cause.

All tables must have one and only one timestamp field.  This was the
worst issue.  Access wants one timestamp field that auto updates so that
it can do it's optimistic locking routine.  I had to write a script to
go through my database and convert all timestamp fields to datetime
fields.  Then, I had to go back and add a last_changed timestamp field
to every table.  The big issue here is that timestamp fields cannot be
set to default to CURRENT_TIME or now().  I had to work through all of
the forms and queries in the database and explicitly set them to now()
as needed.

Be careful of bit fields.  In general, the conversion tool I used to
initially populate the MySQL tables (sqlYog) seems to want to set bit
fields to unsigned.  This is bad for access, as it uses -1 for true.
Make sure your bit fields get set to unsigned in the Mysql table
definition.

The other thing I've noticed is that datatype mappings aren't
necessarily intuitive.  I think currency fields wind up something like
19/4 in the mysql table.  I tried changing their definition to something
like 9/2, but then access starts throwing errors.

Lastly, the original creator of our database did not set up any
relationships.  I had to manually add all of the foreign key
constraints, and in order to do that I had to clean up the child tables
such that there weren't any records that had missing parent records.