I'm using MySQL 3.23.36 on RH 7.1. I've created a table photos (in
database album) with the following colums:

ID NUM AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY
IMAGE MEDIUMBLOB

I'm running mysql from the command line:

mysql -u root

'root' has all privileges.
The file I'm trying to load is /home/fleet/image.jpg
It *is* world readable.

INSERT INTO photos (image) VALUES (load_file('/home/fleet/image.jpg'));

Gives no errors; but all I get in the column is NULL.

SHOW TABLE STATUS photos;

Shows column width to be 30.

I've tried every permutation of this statement I can think of, with NO
success.  MySQL Reference Manual for version 3.23.36. suggests:

mysql> UPDATE photos
           SET image=LOAD_FILE("/home/fleet/image.jpg")
           WHERE id=1;

This produces exactly the same thing - no errors; but no data in the
column.

What am I missing?

                                - fleet -