hi, Chris

So,  the deleted rows' disk space in tablespace can't re-use when I
use Innodb, can it? And the tablespace is growing when we update the
tables, even the amount of rows do not   increase.

Regards,
Leo Huang

2006/7/28, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
leo huang wrote:
> hi, Chris
>

>> I'm sure it will, what makes you think it won't?
> Because some paper say that when the row is deleted or update, Innodb
> just make a mark that the row is deleted and it didn't delete the
> rows. I can't find more information about the re-use tablespace. Can
> you give me more?

That's the way MVCC works. If you need full acid/transaction support,
that's the only way it can do it (postgresql works exactly the same
way). It can't just delete the row because you might roll back the
transaction and it will have to undo that delete, or other transactions
might be using it for whatever purpose.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-multi-versioning.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/file-space-management.html