You can have a simple LVS setup running with a plugin from Nagios,
check_mysql, which will connect to the mysql daemon and run a status
query. If you want anything more than that you most likely will have to
write a custom check plugin (shouldn't be that hard). LVS works nicely as
a mysql loadbalancer in my experience.

Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Unix Systems Administrator