Randy Paries wrote:
Hello,
I have a table (see below) that has 111599 records in it.
When i do a query like select * from gallery_object where dir = 'dirname'

Use explain to see if it's using the index:

explain select * from ....

it could be that for that particular directory you have a lot of data - in which case mysql can't use an index because it covers too much of the table. I think it's roughly 30% that the switch happens (so if the data you're querying covers more than 30% of the table, the index isn't used).

Check with something like this:

select dir, count(*) as blah from gallery_object group by dir order by blah desc limit 10;

it will show you how many records each 'dir' has for the top 10.