Randy, it's possible your indexes are sadly out of date, or corrupted somehow.

Can you post the output of
EXPLAIN select * from gallery_object where dir = 'dirname';
as well as of
EXPLAIN select * from gallery_object
where parent_id = 1
and dir ='dirname'
and obj_type = 1
order by order_idx;

Also, what does "very long time" equate to?

It may not be related, but this bit of your table-create is
interesting - I wonder if you have three indexes on your id column as
a result:
PRIMARY KEY  (id),
UNIQUE KEY id (id),
KEY id_2 (id),

PRIMARY KEY implies UNIQUE, and the id_2 index is redundant to either
of the others.

Dan