I am sure this question has probably been asked in this group before, but I
would like to get an
updated answer.

If you were building your own boxes to run clustered MySQL servers, how would
you configure the
boxes? (This would of course be for an enterprise level database system.)

I am looking for an optimal solution that balances cost and performance; and
yes, I realize that
is a very subjective standard.

My intuitive judgment is that we would be better having several smaller systems
in a cluster
rather than one huge powerful system and that we would be better off building
rather than than
buying.  If you think I am wrong on either of these points, please share your
thoughts and send a
link to a recommended system.

Sincerely,

Mike