At 04:39 PM 1/19/2007, Nuno Vaz Oliveira wrote:

Hello!

I'm thinking to develop a database interface for our company and I thought "great" when I discovered that Visual Basic 6 was able to interact with MySQL. That's because VB6 is very easy and PHP (even being fast, but its hard for me) gets slower because the source code for HTML pages needs to go from the server to the client and big pages must carry the data and the tags, images, css, formating, etc...

However I'm not going to start a project without knowing that VB6+ODBC Driver is able to do all the needed operations to connect/read/write/insert/update a database.

Additionaly I would like to know if I can manage users from VB and to backup the DB.

If anyone can tell me something about it I appreciate. I would also "like" (Not Mandatory) to use a secure connection (SSL) but I don't know if this is possible using VB6/ODBC Driver.

Note: The MySQL Database will be served from our company server.
(Any links to tutorials/tips/recommendations/forums about this subject are also welcome)

Thanks

- Nuno

Why VB6? This isn't an anti-Microsoft position, but that language has been left to die on the vine. So I'd think about .NET, or RealBASIC, or ... or .... You will have to decide.

I trust you realize that in VB ( 6 or .NET) you are doing desktop development, not Internet development; so take a hard look at what can be done with a back end scripting language like PHP, JavaScript on the client side, and the use of AJAX. You might come close to what you need.

Having said that, from the second through fourth paragraphs of your email, you do not really seem know what you are about. Why don't you build a trivial little application in VB working from a MySQL database and see if it does what you want it to do. Write a routine to stuff it full of pseudo data, using tables / indexes which will approximate the size of your envisioned application. As for relative difficulty, both PHP and VB are very easy languages to use, but are used in completely different contexts.

If your thinking that VB is "easy" is based on Microsoft's demonstrations, believe me the real world does not work that way; there is much more back end plumbing involved.

Regards - Miles Thompson