Hello Miles,
At 04:39 PM 1/19/2007, Nuno Vaz Oliveira wrote:

Why VB6? This isn't an anti-Microsoft position, but that language has
been left to die on the vine. So I'd think about .NET, or RealBASIC,
or ... or .... You will have to decide.

Why VB6? That is an easy one. First, it's the one we have available on
our office and "tha boss" ain't going to buy another. Either it is VB6 or
VBA. Second, because I know how to work with it and even being left
to die on the vine it still does what I need right? I'm working with VB6
for a long time and there is nothing that I've ever tried to do that
VB6 wasn't able to handle.
(I have a 20 years old car... Still 4 wheels, 2 doors, glass windows...)

I trust you realize that in VB ( 6 or .NET) you are doing desktop
development, not Internet development; so take a hard look at what can
be done with a back end scripting language like PHP, JavaScript on the
client side, and the use of AJAX. You might come close to what you
need.

About that, the only problems are:
1 - Programming an interface in XHTML is a lot harder than in any other
programming language for desktop.
2 - The amount of data travelling between client and server is 10 times
bigger than the real data. The rest is the XHTML tags, the CSS, the
formatting, etc... This is a problem because we are serving the MySQL
database and the WebServer also and our bandwith is very limited.
I've started this "web" development with Apache+PHP+MySQL and
I can already list the full clients information. Less than 2KBytes from
the MySQL database and the client had to download a 44KBytes...
Our upload is 256Kbits which means that a page with the name, age,
address and a few more info from a client will take about 4~5 seconds
to load... I've tried with VB6 this morning and it was instantaneous
(I know it was 0.34seconds sinse the request to the data retrival)...
It's a huge difference in time and I'm talking about a small page.

Having said that, from the second through fourth paragraphs of your
email, you do not really seem know what you are about. Why don't you
build a trivial little application in VB working from a MySQL database
and see if it does what you want it to do. Write a routine to stuff it
full of pseudo data, using tables / indexes which will approximate the
size of your envisioned application. As for relative difficulty, both
PHP and VB are very easy languages to use, but are used in completely
different contexts.

That is your opinion and it can be considered to be correct. However I
know exactly what I want to do and it's easier to ask someone who
knows about it than to try it myself. I might do something wrong and
assume that it is not doable or I might forget to try something really
needed and later found out it is no possible. That's why I came to this
list... It's full of nice people that give help and advice for free! I'm
already working on the "Web" version and on the "desktop" version of
this project but any contribution is appreciated.

If your thinking that VB is "easy" is based on Microsoft's
demonstrations, believe me the real world does not work that way;
there is much more back end plumbing involved.

I don't tink that VB is easy. I know it is!!! I'm working with VB6 for more
than 10 years i think... At this point any new language is harder than VB.
However I've been great with PHP. Started a few weeks ago and I'm
going pretty good with the manual and the lists but... I've a long time
with VB...

Regards - Miles Thompson

Thank you for replying :)

- Nuno Vaz Oliveira