At 5:08 PM -0500 2/20/07, Sun, Jennifer wrote:
Thanks. Below is the notes from the version 5 manual, does that mean
after I patch my OS, I may need to reload the timezone tables ? How I
can determine that I have to reload the timezone tables, not might need?
Or will it hurt anything if I just reload the tables anyway? Thanks.

Just go ahead and reload them.  If you look at the output of
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql, you'll notice that the first thing is
does is TRUNCATE TABLE for the time zone tables, so that they
start out in a pristine state before the new information gets
loaded into them.

Note

operation because the information changes occasionally. For example, the
rules for Daylight Saving Time in the United States, Mexico, and parts
of Canada changed in 2007. When such changes occur, applications that
use the old rules become out of date and you may find it necessary to
reload the time zone tables to keep the information used by your MySQL
server current. See the notes at the end of this section.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA