At 05:00 PM 2/22/2007, mos wrote:

On the other hand, if you developed a web application that ran on MySQL (an accounting package say) and you want to distribute it to 1000 MySQL users without giving them your source code, then you will need a MySQL AB license for each copy ($595,000 in total) even if you give the software away for free.

The last line of the license notice reads: "Contact MySQL AB if you need clarification of these terms or if you need
to ask about alternative arrangements. "

This kind of suggests to me that they're willing to talk. I expect that as long as you're willing to pay *something*, there's probably a lot of room for negotiation. It's distinctly not in their interest to eliminate collateral development efforts. And there are already several products out there which do connect with MySQL and cost < $100.

Barry Newton