Thanks Maciek:

The table that I'm doing this query on will be huge. It's essentially the users table for an online activity with, we hope, lots of users. :) The thing is that if I do a query for the entire result set and use PHP to figure out the position of the user and then do a query on a page of results that will contain the user, I'm still going to take a hit right?

Or are you concerned about performance b/c MySQL and subqueries are really slow?

-James