We also have random lost connections on simple queries, but we are running MySQL v5.024a on Windows XP. We've checked the logs and nothing abnormal has turned up and we're using only MyISAM tables with InnoDb disabled.

The only thing that I could suggest is to look for other copies of libmysql.dll and make sure you don't have an older version on your path. 3rd party products like to install older copies of these files.

As for me, I'll have to upgrade MySQL in the hopes of correcting the problem. It is a PIA to come in in the morning only to find the overnight job has hung because a simple query has lost the connection. :(

Mike