Hi Folks,

I have a database running on Window XP, that I want to disable network connections to and enable 'named pipes'. I am running MySQL 5.0.27 and my.ini looks like...

[client]
#password    = your_password
port        = 3306
socket        = /tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
#port        = 3306
socket        = /tmp/mysql.sock
#Allow connections via named pipes (Windows NT+ only). Note: you can specify a pipe name on the advanced network page, if required.
enable-named-pipe
#Don't allow connections via TCP/IP.
skip-networking

I can connect to the DB using the GUI tools if I set my pipe name to '/tmp/mysql.sock' using the login dialog box. However when I try and connect using PHP I get an error. I have tried several variants of the connect command and I get various errors but all are along the lines of:
Unknown MySQL server host '/tmp/mysql.sock' (11004)  or
Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

I have tried
$mysqli = new mysqli(null, $username,$password, $database);
$mysqli = new mysqli("localhost:/tmp/mysql.sock", $username,$password, $database); $mysqli = new mysqli("localhost", $username,$password, $database,3306,"/tmp/mysql.sock"); $mysqli = new mysqli("localhost", $username,$password, $database,"/tmp/mysql.sock");
$mysqli = new mysqli("/tmp/mysql.sock", $username,$password, $database);

I have also tried the above commands using mysqli_connect ? I have done a few searches of the web but seem to always come up with something like the above? Anybody have any ideas why it won't connect in PHP ?

I know this is not a PHP forum, but I am wondering if I have something wrong in my MySQL setup ?

TIA,
 JC