I'm working in a project at the moment that is using MySQL, and people keep
making assertions like this one:

"*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the few spots
they do (like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the application
level (via, say, optimistic locking), never the database level."

A large DB working with no RI would give me nightmares. Is it really true that
large sites turn RI off to improve performance? Am I just being naive in
thinking that everyone runs their DBs with RI in production?