> I'm working in a project at the moment that is using MySQL, and people
keep making assertions like this one:

> "*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the few
spots they do (like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the
application level (via, say, optimistic locking), never the database level."

> A large DB working with no RI would give me nightmares. Is it really true
that large sites turn RI off to improve performance? Am I just being naive
in thinking that everyone runs their DBs with RI in production?

If you don't value your data, then choose not to use RI.

If you DO value your data, run with as much valid constraints as you can.

After all, that's the whole idea behind constraints :-)

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts: