Thanks, that's interesting. Actually the uc.ID column is still type tinyint as it holds only one number, but are you saying if I change this to varchar my query will work e.g. 15 = 15:17 would work?

What is the type of the 'uc.ID' column?  If it's varchar, your match
will work fine.  If it's an integer type, you are going to have a
problem because you have bt.category_ID holding things which can't be
represented as integers and will therefore never match.  IF both
column type are being changed here, your query will work fine as is.

- michael dykman