Grant Allen wrote:

Storage engines are unique to MySQL? yes. Is that good? YMMV. Most of the purported benefits can be achieved with Oracle's features without the compromises of balkanised storage engines. You're right, they're not offered by Oracle, or anyone else ... there's a reason no other database bothers with storage engines - they got storage right the first time :-) (ooh ... the flames I'll get for that :-) ). Sure, non-volatile data in a MyISAM table can be read at the speed of light, and handle the odd insert. Funnily enough, a text file has the same properties. They both suck for non-trivial concurrent transactions. I'd suggest taking a look at parallel DML, nologging, MVs, partitioning, direct-path insert, appended insert, RAC, ASM, ASSM, etc. etc. etc. in Oracle for more perspective

Grant,

LOL - an entertaining read!

One advantage of multiple storage engines that comes to mind is that you can streamline your setup for different workloads:

- Innodb/Falcon for non-trivial concurrency workloads
- Myisam for fairly static or bulk-loaded (mainly) read workloads.

Is is hard - maybe impossible - to design one storage that engine does *everything* well (e.g Oracle is not that good for very large data warehouses, as any Teradata sales bloke will tell you...), so I think this is a useful feature unique to Mysql.

Cheers

Mark