Martijn Tonies wrote:

LOL - an entertaining read!

Entertaining? I feel to see the humor in his post.

I thought it was concise and well written, with an undertone of "I know I'm swearing in church but...". So yes, I found it entertaining (I agree that it was not necessarily humorous or funny).
One advantage of multiple storage engines that comes to mind is that you
can streamline your setup for different workloads:

- Innodb/Falcon for non-trivial concurrency workloads
- Myisam for fairly static or bulk-loaded (mainly) read workloads.

MyISAM never really got "finished" as a data storage engine
and neither did InnoDB.

MyISAM doesn't support referential constraints, so for any serious
data storage, it's a no-go area for me.

InnoDB, on the other hand, doesn't support Full Text Indices (Search),
that's where MyISAM comes into play.

That's the problem with the currently available non-alpha storage engines
in MySQL: they just don't cut it.

While your factual observations are undoubtedly correct, the conclusions bear some discussion. In particular for data warehousing constraints are not so important - as the ETL process that loads your data typically needs to check it anyway - and are often not practical - for instance enabling a foreign key constraint on a 10 billion row/10TB fact table is gonna just take too long ...(you tend to see "ALTER TABLE ADD CONTRAINT xxx ... DERERRED/NOVERIFY" or similar syntax with other database vendors to add the constraint but stop it doing anything except being a data point for the optimizer).

I agree that all the Mysql storage engines need work ... I assume that's being sorted (perhaps not as fast as we all would like) by the various developers. And just be be clear, the storage engines of most databases need work - for instance I work for a company that has used Postgres to make a parallel shared nothing data warehouse engine (sounds a bit like NDB huh?), and yep, the Postgres storage engine has areas we are wanting to improve!

Cheers

Mark