Hi.

I've got this table in mySQL:

item 1:
-- firstname: John (Johnie)
-- phone: 555-600-200

item 2:
-- firstname: Peter
-- phone: 555-300-400

I created this SQL query to find 'johnie':
------------------------
SELECT friends.id FROM friends WHERE ((friends.firstname LIKE '%
johnie %' OR friends.firstname LIKE 'johnie %' OR friends.firstname
LIKE '% johnie' OR friends.firstname LIKE 'johnie' OR friends.phone
LIKE '% johnie %' OR friends.phone LIKE 'johnie %' OR friends.phone
LIKE '% johnie' OR friends.phone LIKE 'johnie')) ORDER BY
friends.firstname LIMIT 0, 9999

But it doesn't match anything, because it's considers "(johnie)" as a
single word. Is there any way to make mySQL consider "(johnie)" as
"johnie".

I know I can create another condition within my query:
firstname LIKE '(johnie)' OR firstname LIKE '(johnie%' OR firstname
LIKE '%johnie)'
but I also might consider other characters like ' " - *

Any suggestion?