Thank you Chris for your answer.

On 9/19/07, Chris Sansom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well I'm hardly the world's greatest expert, but I'm curious as to
> why you're always separating '%' from 'johnie' with a space, because
> that way it will only find Johnie if he has a space before or after
> him or both.
As commented to Michael, I want to match 'johnie' and not 'johnies' or
'aljohnier'.

> Hmmm... and why the double parentheses? In fact, why any parentheses at all?
You're right. I copied&pasted another more complicated query and
didn't remove parentheses.

> This oughta do it:
>
> SELECT friends.id FROM friends WHERE friends.firstname LIKE '%johnie%' ORDER
> BY
> friends.firstname LIMIT 0, 9999
>
> That should find 'johnie' or 'Johnie' with absolutely any characters
> before and/or after him.
>
> ... and if you want to simplify your queries as much as possible you
> don't need to specify the table every time unless ambiguities might
> arise (which they only will if there's more than one table involved),
> so try:
>
> SELECT id FROM friends WHERE firstname LIKE '%johnie%' ORDER BY
> firstname LIMIT 0, 9999
Yes, you're right, but they're more tables in my 'more-complicated'
query and I forgot remove them.

> ... and unless you've really got more than 9999 friends that limit
> clause is redundant too. :-)
Yes, you're also right :-)