Hey there

I have a not-so-big (50GB, including indexes) database (MySQL 4.0.24,
mixed MyISAM and InnoDB tables) that I need to migrate to a MySQL 5.1
Master + Slave Replication server, with InnoDB tables only, over a new
hardware.

Unfortunately, this is the first time I play a role as MySQL DBA, and
don't have a complete migration plan (yet).

Can someone here please review my migration plan and help me
adding/prunning missing/exceeding bits?

My current plan is more or less like below. I removed task descriptions
removed, guess the task name is descriptive enough. Indenting marks
sub-tasks, as expected.

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers!

----- BEGIN TASK LIST -----
Database Migration Project
    Current Database Procedures Mapping
        Plan Database Test Procedure
        Determine Current Database Backup Procedures
        Determine Current Database Restore Procedures
        Obtain Copies of the Current Database Backup Scripts
        Obtain Copies of the Current Database Restore Scripts
        Determine Current Database Stored Procedures / Triggers
    Database Statistics Collection
        Determine Current Database Size
        Determine Current Database Grow Ratio
        Determine Current Database Schema
    Operating System Installation and Configuration Plan
        Determine Hardware Requirements
        Determine Operating System Requirements
        Determine Required Operating System Configuration
        Plan Operating System Installation
        Plan Operating System Configuration
        Document Changes on Operating System
    Database Software Installation and Configuration Plan
        Study Need for Database Build
        Plan Database Build
        Plan Database Installation
        Plan Database Configuration
    Database Performance Tunning
        Determine Current Database Queries
        Determine Current Database Performance Indicators
        Plan Measurement Procedure for the Performance Indicators
        Measure Current Database Performance
    Database Schema Refactoring
        Obtain Current Database Schema Definition
        Review Database Schema
        Review Database Stored Procedures and Triggers
        Suggest Changes for Database Schema
        Study Desired Database Backward Compatibility Level
        Design Views to Allow Database Backward Compatibility
        Redesign Database
        Write SQL for Changes
    Staging System Deployment and Testing
        Install Operating System in the Staging Environment
        Configure Operating System in the Staging Envinronment
        Build Database Software in Staging Environment
        Install Database Software in Staging Environment
        Configure Database Software in Staging Environment
        Obtain Current Copy of the Database Backup from Production
        Restore Database Using the Restore Procedure
        Fix or Improve Restore Procedure
        Test Database in Staging Environment
        Measure Staging Database Performance Indicators
        Compare Performance Figures for the Staging Database
    Production Database Deployment
        Plan Database Maintenance Stop
        Advertise Database Maintenance Stop
        Install Operating System in the Production Environment
        Configure Operating System in the Production Envinronment
        Build Database Software in Production Environment
        Install Database Software in Production Environment
        Configure Database Software in Production Environment
        Stop Production Database
        Obtain Current Copy of the Database Backup from Production
        Restore Database Using the Restore Procedure
        Test Database in Production Environment
        Start Database in Production Environment
    Database Monitoring
        Follow Up Database Behavior and Performance
----- END  TASK  LIST -----

--
Luis Motta Campos (a.k.a. Monsieur Champs) is a software engineer,
Perl fanatic evangelist, and amateur {cook, photographer}