Hi Luis,

On Jan 2, 2008 8:53 AM, Luis Motta Campos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey there
>
> I have a not-so-big (50GB, including indexes) database (MySQL 4.0.24,
> mixed MyISAM and InnoDB tables) that I need to migrate to a MySQL 5.1
> Master + Slave Replication server, with InnoDB tables only, over a new
> hardware.
>
> Unfortunately, this is the first time I play a role as MySQL DBA, and
> don't have a complete migration plan (yet).
>
> Can someone here please review my migration plan and help me
> adding/prunning missing/exceeding bits?
>
> My current plan is more or less like below. I removed task descriptions
> removed, guess the task name is descriptive enough. Indenting marks
> sub-tasks, as expected.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Cheers!
>
> ----- BEGIN TASK LIST -----
> Database Migration Project
>     Current Database Procedures Mapping
>         Plan Database Test Procedure
>         Determine Current Database Backup Procedures
>         Determine Current Database Restore Procedures
>         Obtain Copies of the Current Database Backup Scripts
>         Obtain Copies of the Current Database Restore Scripts
>         Determine Current Database Stored Procedures / Triggers
>     Database Statistics Collection
>         Determine Current Database Size
>         Determine Current Database Grow Ratio
>         Determine Current Database Schema
>     Operating System Installation and Configuration Plan
>         Determine Hardware Requirements
>         Determine Operating System Requirements
>         Determine Required Operating System Configuration
>         Plan Operating System Installation
>         Plan Operating System Configuration
>         Document Changes on Operating System
>     Database Software Installation and Configuration Plan
>         Study Need for Database Build
>         Plan Database Build
>         Plan Database Installation
>         Plan Database Configuration
>     Database Performance Tunning
>         Determine Current Database Queries
>         Determine Current Database Performance Indicators
>         Plan Measurement Procedure for the Performance Indicators
>         Measure Current Database Performance
>     Database Schema Refactoring
>         Obtain Current Database Schema Definition
>         Review Database Schema
>         Review Database Stored Procedures and Triggers
>         Suggest Changes for Database Schema
>         Study Desired Database Backward Compatibility Level
>         Design Views to Allow Database Backward Compatibility
>         Redesign Database
>         Write SQL for Changes
>     Staging System Deployment and Testing
>         Install Operating System in the Staging Environment
>         Configure Operating System in the Staging Envinronment
>         Build Database Software in Staging Environment
>         Install Database Software in Staging Environment
>         Configure Database Software in Staging Environment
>         Obtain Current Copy of the Database Backup from Production
>         Restore Database Using the Restore Procedure
>         Fix or Improve Restore Procedure
>         Test Database in Staging Environment
>         Measure Staging Database Performance Indicators
> [...]

What are the biggest changes you anticipate?  I'd say they will be the
version upgrade, converting to InnoDB, and using replication.  It
looks like you have planned well for all but using replication.
Unless you are familiar with it, that is likely to be a bigger change
than the version upgrade and switch to InnoDB.  There's a lot to learn
about replication if you haven't used it before.  I'd suggest that you
read the manual chapters about replication and binary logging, and
definitely experiment with replication.

Cheers
Baron