Have you checked filesystem permissions where InnoDB needs to create
its files?  And you're sure you've removed ALL of InnoDB's previous
data and log files?  And there's nothing in the server's error logs?
Are you looking in the right error logs?  (cause an error deliberately
and look for it to be sure).