Nanni,

Thanks for the advices. How to make an installation? I use Fedora Core 8
where MySQL comes with the bundle. Do you think I should download the source
code and compile it and configure it using ./configure?

I did changed the cnf file to have 2 different configurations:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mysqld]# cat /etc/my1.cnf
[mysqld]
port=33061
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mysqld]# cat /etc/my2.cnf
[mysqld]
port=33602
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql2.sock
user=mysql
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld2.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld2.pid

And then I started (or, I believe I started) 2 difference instances with:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/etc/my1.cnf &
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/etc/my2.cnf &

I checked the service status:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mysqld]# service mysqld status
mysqld (pid 3542 3403) is running...

Does it means I have two instances running? If I want to configure them
seperately using mysql command, what shall I do to distinguish each
instances?

Thanks,
Jing Zhang