Nanni,

You know, it's really strange. On 2 different terminals, I ran

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]mysql -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock -u root -p

AND

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]mysql -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql2.sock -u root -p

I was able to log in. Then I run "show variables", I could actually see them
listening on different ports (33061 and 33062). If I can start only ONE
mysql instance from the same installation, why am I able to log in 2
different instances? Where did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Jing Zhang