Nanni,

To make things even creepier, I tried to access the 2 "alleged" instances
from a different WinXP PC by starting 2 instances of MySQL Administrator,
using different port number 33061 and 33062 at the same time. And it worked!

I went further to create a database on each instances of MySQL
Administrator, test1 and test2. It worked too! The changes are revealed on
both instances immediately.

I will go ahead to write a LabVIEW test program and try to write to both
test1 and test2 alternatively, see how is it work. If so, I will try to
configure replication for each "alleged" instances.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Jing Zhang

toutiao wrote:

> Nanni,
>
> You know, it's really strange. On 2 different terminals, I ran
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]mysql -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock -u root -p
>
> AND
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]mysql -S /var/lib/mysql/mysql2.sock -u root -p
>
> I was able to log in. Then I run "show variables", I could actually see
> them listening on different ports (33061 and 33062). If I can start only
> ONE mysql instance from the same installation, why am I able to log in 2
> different instances? Where did I do wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Jing Zhang
>

> Nanni Claudio wrote:
>>
>> Jing,
>>
>> First: you can have only ONE mysql instance running for each
>> installation,
>> but you can have as many installations as you want on each server.
>> So to answer your statement only the first command started mysql,
>> while the second command should have given you an error(there is already
>> an instance running).
>>
>> --:Jing:-------------------------------------------------------------------
>> And then I started (or, I believe I started) 2 difference instances with:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/etc/my1.cnf &
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/etc/my2.cnf &
>>
>> If you issue a 'ps -ef | grep mysql' shell command, you'll see all mysql
>> processes running, for each instance you have two basic processes:
>>
>> ==:ps -ef | grep
>> mysql:====================================================
>>   mysql5   535   513  6 11:48:56 pts/0    0:01 /.../libexec/mysqld
>> basedir=/data/Esercizio/mysql5015 --......
>>
>>   mysql5   513   367  0 11:48:56 pts/0    0:00 /bin/sh bin/mysqld_safe
>>
>> The one with the lower id(513) is the one you started, the other(535) is
>> the 'son' of 513.
>>

>> Compiling and installing it is surely a good experience.
>> What I do NOT like of bundled installations is directory/user sharing.
>> If you install it yourself compiling it from sources you can
>> choose your directory, user and parameters for a particular mysql
>> installation.
>>
>> My advice is to follow this procedure:
>>
>> 1) Create a home directory for the user and installation of mysql
>>      e.g.: /home/mysql5018
>>
>> 2) Create a new operating system user for the new installation,
>>      e.g.: mysql5018, mysql323, etc...
>>
>> 3) compile mysql (follow the manual)
>>
>> 4) log on as the new mysql user (e.g.: mysql5018)
>>
>> 5) install mysql (follow the manual) as that user
>>
>> 6) create the .my.cnf file and put it in the home directory of the user
>> (/home/mysql5018/.my.cnf)
>>
>> IMPORTANT: watch for right permissions on files and directories.
>>
>> This way you can start mysql as easy as   'bin/mysqld_safe&' with no
>> command line parameters at all, given you are logged as the right mysql
>> user(mysql5018) and the .my.cnf is in his home directory.

> [...]
>>> key_buffer = 256M