On 2001 Jun 04, Narendra Phadke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am storing Japanese data inside MySQL.
> MySQL supports all the Europian languages and other languages like korian
> and Hebru, and you have all the character set files for all these languages
> inside the C:\mysql\share\charsets directory.
> But this directory does not contain Japanese character set files. Where can
> I get these files?

Only single-byte character sets with simple sorting rules can be
described by the *.conf files.  More complex character sets must
be compiled into the server.

The binaries that MySQL distributes have all supported character
sets included.  You can see what character sets are available
with this command:

    mysql> show variables like 'character_sets';

You should notice ujis and sjis there, if you are using one of our
binaries.  If you compile MySQL yourself, you must specify the
character sets you want when you run 'configure', like this:

    sh configure --with-charset=sjis --with-extra-charsets=ujis,gbk

When you start mysqld, you use the --default-character-set=ujis
option to change the character set being used.  Our binaries use
latin1 by default.  With the configuration line from above, the
default would be sjis, but you could specify ujis, gbk, or any
of the simple character sets in share/charsets/*.conf.

Tim

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>