> Only single-byte character sets with simple sorting rules can be
> described by the *.conf files.  More complex character sets must
> be compiled into the server.
>
> The binaries that MySQL distributes have all supported character
> sets included.  You can see what character sets are available
> with this command:
>
>   mysql> show variables like 'character_sets';
>
> You should notice ujis and sjis there, if you are using one of our
> binaries.

> When you start mysqld, you use the --default-character-set=ujis
> option to change the character set being used.  Our binaries use
> latin1 by default.  With the configuration line from above, the
> default would be sjis, but you could specify ujis, gbk, or any
> of the simple character sets in share/charsets/*.conf.

I installed MySQL from an RPM file on Linux. When I use the mysql>show
variables like 'character_sets'; as you mentioned above, I do, indeed, show
sjis. So, I shutdown mysql and restarted it like this:
safe_mysqld --default-character-set=sjis

This resulted in an error message (sorry I forgot the one however something
it to do with missing charsets I believe). I had a look around and I noticed
the following charsets in /usr/share/mysql/charsets:

./            croat.conf*    greek.conf*      latin1.conf*   win1251.conf*
../           danish.conf*   hebrew.conf*     latin2.conf*
win1251ukr.conf*
Index*        dec8.conf*     hp8.conf*        latin5.conf*
README*       dos.conf*      hungarian.conf*  swe7.conf*
cp1251.conf*  estonia.conf*  koi8_ru.conf*    usa7.conf*
cp1257.conf*  german1.conf*  koi8_ukr.conf*   win1250.conf*

Alas, no sjis, but I imagine that is because it a double-byte character set.

So, I'm left with the following question:
1. What do you mean by
>More complex character sets must
> be compiled into the server.
And how would I go about doing this?