On 2001 Jun 06, Anatole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I brought down mysqld and restarted as before with safe_mysqld
> --default-character-set=sjis and get the following error message when php
> tries to connect:
>
> Can't initialize character set 13 (path: default) in
> /usr/local/apache/sites/gaijinpot.com/php/common.inc

Ah, the vital clue.  You're using PHP, and probably used the
mysql that is bundled with PHP (an older version, too), and
not an external MySQL library.  The PHP version only comes
with the latin1 character set.  What you need to do is configure
PHP using their --with-mysql=/path/to/your/mysql option, and
make and install the new PHP.

Yes, this is kind of a pain, but that's how it goes.  If you
have trouble with this process, a PHP list is probably the best
place to get help.

Oh, you might be able to get around this by just using the most
recent version of PHP.  We added a hack to ignore the error you
are getting, since the client doesn't have to do much with the
character sets.  But I'm not sure if it will work when the server
is using a multi-byte character set - it might just break.  The
way to be sure that things work is to follow my instructions
above.  If you just upgrade your PHP, and things don't work, let
me know the error you get so maybe I can find a work-around.

Tim

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>