Mike wrote:

I have so much data that we can't take a mysqldump of our database. The
directory tared is about 18GB.

Worst-case expansion for SQL data from binary to text format is about 5:1, which applies mainly to numeric data, not text. That's only 90 GB; I carry a bigger hard drive in my backpack, which I use for moving files between machines. Heck, my iPod holds more than that.

You don't even have to store a second copy of the data. You can do something like pipe the mysqldump through a tool like nc (netcat) from the old machine to the new. With a decent GigE network connection between the two, the transfer should complete in about an hour. Add in a little data compression and you can probably cut that in half.