On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Kevin F. O'Riordan wrote:

Hi James,

If I telnet to port 3306, I get the old version as I should and when
I telnet to the new port I get the new version as I should, but if I
do a:

mysqladmin -P (new port) variables

I get the old variables.

I'd suspect mysqladmin's using the unix socket, and ignoring your "-P"
option; try adding the option "--protocol=TCP".

That would appear to be the case...I subsequently as able to get it to give me the new variables by using -S /path/to/new.socket. I just tried your way and it works, too...strange, the man page for mysqladmin didn't mention that option, but then again, I could be looking at the man page for 3.23 :-/

You may well find a similar issue with phpmyadmin - there's a
configuration option:

 $cfgServers[...]['connect_type']  = 'tcp';

which might solve this.

I had tried that from the start with no luck (it brought up the old server). After running the new server's mysql_secure_installation script, to reset the password and secure everything, I can no longer authenticate, whether cookie or config. I'm getting access-denied.

It almost seems as if phpMyAdmin is using the old client, but I see no what of telling it where to look or about prefixes.

It is also just about impossible to stop the new mysql using the mysql-safe script, even if you specify port and socket on the command line, without messing up the old MySQL.

I would think this would be a relatively simple thing to do. I guess I'm going to try to build MySQL with the config options instead of invoking at runtime...both versions seem hopelessly confused.

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://3.am