On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I would think this would be a relatively simple thing to do. I guess I'm going to try to build MySQL with the config options instead of invoking at runtime...both versions seem hopelessly confused.

Well, I rebuilt and installed 5.0 again using custom port and socket options, in addition to prefix. I was able to connect to the server as root using mysqladmin and mysql, but not through phpMyAdmin (access denied for [EMAIL PROTECTED] using password=yes). I then tried to run the mysql_secure_installation, which also lets you reset the root password, but I got access denied that way as well.

I then nuked the mysql database and ran:

./mysql_install_db --user=mysql --ldata=/var/db/mysql50

killed and restarted mysql 5.0 and now root no longer works with or without a password. I was under the impression that nuking the db and installing it again started you anew as far as root goes (no password, you set it).

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://3.am