No, because I fear that would break the existing customer php apps, which is the whole point of running two versions of MySQL.

What I guess I need to know is if php's mysql and mysqli extensions can be made to recognize two different sets of client libs.

Unless you're telling me that having them use the 5.0 client libraries won't break working 3.23 apps...