I was wondering how I get it to listed on all ports. When I try 0.0.0.0, and try to restart, the restart fails, and when it tries to start again, I get the error, /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password:YES)' This has been happening for a day or so, and I don't know if it's related to my problem or not.

After changing the grant to use an IP address, I still cannot log in.

Jesse

----- Original Message ----- From: "Curtis Maurand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jesse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "MySQL List" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: Accessing remote machine (Ubuntu) from Window

I cannot. Are you trying to connect via the localhost. It may still be trying to connect to localhost.

You might try changing the bind-address statement to

bind-address      =  0.0.0.0 so that it also listens to localhost as well.

Also if you're trying to connect to an ip address instead of a named host, I've found that you have to code your grant statement to have an ip address instead of a hostname.

Curtis

Jesse wrote:
Obvious question: Did you restart MySQL? netstat -l should show you what's listening for connections. you'll want to see if its listening on port 3306.

Yes.  When that didn't work, I re-started the whole server.
netstat -l tells me that 192.168.1.128:mysql is listening. It lists a foreign address of "*.*" When I re-issue the command with "-n", I can seee that it is, indeed, listening on port 3306.

Can you think of any other reasons why the connection would fail?

Jesse