> The mysqld.pid file is in /var/run/mysqld.
>
> The mysql.sock file is in /tmp
>
> > What symlink did you make?
> None right now. I removed any that I had made before so
> that I wouldn't
> confuse the situation.

To start with, check that the .pid file doesn't exist if the server is stopped,
the start script should check if the server is running even if it's present,
but I saw some similar problems on debian a debian machine not too long ago.

Check the permissions on the start script, and try running it manually with
"/etc/init.d/mysql start" or "invoke-rc.d mysql start"

Try to take a look in syslog, it'll tell you what's been happening - if
anything, give "cat /var/log/syslog | grep mysq" a try ...