> Part of the problem is that I can't stop the server.

Oh, so it does start? I thought it also wasn't starting, if it's not starting
then stopping it will fail.

> Is there anything else I can do to get a clean install of
> MySQL running
> again?

Can you list what appears in the process list? A "ps awux | grep -i mysql"
should do.

One other thing... on debian in addition to my.cnf, there's a debain.cnf which
also has the path to the socket in it and the start script uses that to pass
the socket to mysql (in addition to my.cnf - which is a bit odd).  I've never
used ubuntu, but do you have something similar in /etc/mysql/ ?

If that's not the case, just try setting the socket location back to where it
was initially and then re-attempt to remove the package.