Glyn,

Thank you for responding.

To start with, check that the .pid file doesn't exist if the server is stopped
Part of the problem is that I can't stop the server.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [fail]

try running it manually with "/etc/init.d/mysql start" or "invoke-rc.d mysql
start"
$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
$ sudo invoke-rc.d mysql start
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.

Try to take a look in syslog, it'll tell you what's been happening - if anything, give
"cat /var/log/syslog | grep mysq" a try ...

Whatever is messing with my MySQL server might be stopping it from logging properly, because most of the logs I can find are empty. Every time I try to output stuff, it just comes right back to the prompt:

~$ cat /var/log/syslog | grep mysq
~$ cd /var/log
/var/log$ more mysql.err
/var/log$ more mysql.log
/var/log$ cd mysql
/var/log/mysql$ ls
/var/log/mysql$

Is there anything else I can do to get a clean install of MySQL running again?

--
Dave M G