> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:55:11 +0300
> From: Olexandr Melnyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], mysql@lists.mysql.com
> Subject: Re: Problem with GROUP BY
>
> http://jan.kneschke.de/projects/mysql/groupwise-max
>
> 2008/10/14 Peter Brawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Philip
> >
> >  mysql> SELECT number, MAX(event), name FROM info GROUP BY number;
> >>

> > For discussion & examples see "Within-group aggregates" at
> > http://www.artfulsoftware.com/queries.php.

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Of course the solution is 'obvious' now I know the answer but as a
relative newcomer to MySQL I had spent the best part of a day trying to
find it.

TTFN,

   Philip Riebold, [EMAIL PROTECTED]       /"\
   Media Services                            \ /
   University College London                  X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
   Windeyer Building, 46 Cleveland Street    / \ Against HTML Mail
   London, W1T 4JF
   +44 (0)20 7679 9259 (switchboard), 09259 (internal)