i figured out the root cause of the  problem.
1) Java TIME ZONE is GMT ------------------- storing DATE   (2008-10-19
which is in GMT   )

2)  storing the above date in GMT to mysql

3)  MYSQL TIME ZONE IS   GMT+05:30

4) as  mysql time zone is GMT+05:30 it is viewing the date as (2008-10-19) @
GMT+05:30

5) when i retrieved the date from mysql (GMT +05:30)
                                            2008-10-19 @ GMT+05:30

                converted to

the above is the reason why it is printing the previous day date.