We've started seeing mysql errors in the logs, and when i look at the output
of mysql_error() (in php), i get "lost connection to mysql server during
query". Here's an example stack trace:

'Can't connect to <name> database [Lost connection to MySQL server during
query]'

Similarly, we're seeing stack traces here as well:

'Can't connect to <name> database []'

I usually only see this mesasge when I don't use a connection for awhile and
it timeouts, but in this case, the connection is only opened for the
duration of a script, which can't be running for more than a second. The
mysql error logs don't show anything, and wait_timeout is set to 28800.

At first, I thought it was because I was calling mysql_select_db too much,
so I ended up using two mysql connections per page load, but that didn't
seem to change anything. How can we prevent this error from happening, what
else can I do to diagnose this further?  Google brings up some more
discussions about it, but nothing seems related to this, like packetsize.
This is happening when we select two ids from a database.  And SHOW
PROCESSLIST shows that the number of connections aren't even coming close to
max connections.

Thanks for any advice,
Waynn