I've never had a lot of luck tracking down this sort of problem. One
thing I've found to be a good first step is to add each server
involved to the other server's /etc/hosts file (and restart MySQL so
it notices).

Don't have much more to offer other than the usual suspects: recent
versions, persistent vs. non-persistent connections, etc. A long shot
would be to make sure your always talking to the same database server-
if you're doing, say, DNS round-robin or load balancing or something,
maybe you're getting shunted to a different db server and it's killing
the connection... don't know what your setup is. Another long shot in
a multi-db-server config would be to make sure they all have different
server ID's.

Good luck... hopefully someone else has better advice :)

Jake