At 10:21 PM 10/29/2008, you wrote:
I've never had a lot of luck tracking down this sort of problem. One
thing I've found to be a good first step is to add each server
involved to the other server's /etc/hosts file (and restart MySQL so
it notices).

Don't have much more to offer other than the usual suspects: recent
versions, persistent vs. non-persistent connections, etc. A long shot
would be to make sure your always talking to the same database server-
if you're doing, say, DNS round-robin or load balancing or something,
maybe you're getting shunted to a different db server and it's killing
the connection... don't know what your setup is. Another long shot in
a multi-db-server config would be to make sure they all have different
server ID's.

Good luck... hopefully someone else has better advice :)

Jake

Just a guess, but maybe it's your network card?

I'm using MySQL 5.01 with MyISAM tables and my application will occasionally hang for hours in the midst of executing a simple 1 table Select statement. I usually end up killing the program. There are no processes running on the MySQL server. I think the problem was the number of connections the program created. Although there were only at most 10 simultaneous connections, my program when the query finished executing, it threw the connection away and recreated a new one for each query, and MySQL reported there were some 10k connections made to the server. I ended up using connection pooling and now the number of connections reaches a high of around 10 and I haven't had the problem since.

Mike