On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Shain Miley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was wondering if anyone had any good insight into running  the 32 bit and
>  64 bit versions of MySQL?  We are going to be using a replication setup
> within my organization very shortly.  We intend to a have at least one
> master (writable) DB and several (let's say 3 for this excersise ) read-only
> DB's.
[snip!]

> Would I need to run the 64 bit version on all the servers or just the
> master, etc?  Any help would be great.

    I would highly recommend running the 64-bit version on all systems
if it's feasible from an infrastructure standpoint.  One of my
customers has a cluster that I manage where the RAM ranges from
16-24GB per machine, and I have 64-bit setups on each.  They use
replication as well, for the record.

    There may be some issues with read/write/seek times on a 32-bit
machine as opposed to a 64-bit.  The 32-bit may seem to lag, which can
cause issues with replication under heavy loads.  And, of course,
filesizes and memory barriers do exist (and are being rather
easily-reached now).  However, if you're strictly asking about how it
interfaces from one MySQL server to the next, it's no problem.  MySQL
couldn't care less if it's compiled for i586 or x86_64; that's only in
how it relates to the OS on which it's installed, not how it interacts
with sibling systems.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
http://www.parasane.net/